CAPS Teacher Letter
August 30, 2019
Dear AUSD Teachers,
We hope that your school year has gotten off to a great start! Since there are so many new faces in the district, we’d like to introduce ourselves and give you all a brief history of CAPS and a few important facts to keep in mind when writing your grants this year.
CAPS (Committee for Atascadero Public Schools) is a group of volunteers that include teachers, retired teachers, administrators, parents, coaches, and community members who all give their time, talents and efforts to put on an incredible fundraising event each August. CAPS mission is to raise funds to provide extra financial support in order to offer teachers additional educational resources that are not otherwise available to them. Over the last 12 years, CAPS has granted over $880,000 for various items including field trips, musical instruments, marching band uniforms, photo book projects, battle of the books, iPads, a pottery wheels and kilns, science equipment, cameras, dance costumes and shoes, microscopes and more, all with the loyal support of donors and sponsors.
This year on August 24, 2019 our 13th annual “Evening for Education” was held. That evening along with all the sponsorships received allowed us to raise an incredible amount for classroom grants this year! Our final numbers will be determined and released next week. All certificated staff who serve students in AUSD are invited to participate in our grant process. This year’s grant request can range anywhere from $100.00 - $1,500.00, so we encourage you to think out of the box! Consider what items or experience would enhance or enrich your program for your students. You will only have a two-week window of opportunity to submit your grant request so be sure to start thinking about it today!
A few key to keep in mind are the following
Preparing and writing your Grant:
▪ Your school receives an allotment of funds that is calculated by the ADA at your site. Your principal will have a ballpark figure for your site’s allotment so that you and your fellow teachers can work collaboratively when submitting your grant request.
▪ Grant readers will consider all grants within the dollar amounts of $100.00 - $1,500.00. Anything over $1,500 will not be considered even if you teach at multiple sites.
▪ Keep in mind, if the item or experience you are requesting is something for which you will also be receiving additional funds from another source, please be sure to write your request for $1,500.00 and the remaining total separate with a brief explanation. IF you request the entire amount over $1,500.00 your grant will not be considered.
▪ ALL requests MUST include totals, tax, and shipping (where required) and website it can be purchased on (with exception of technology) or the grant will not be accepted.
▪ ALL technology requests need to be approved by the AUSD Tech Services Department and include an approved Technology Form (download from CAPS website) or the grant will not be accepted.
▪ Field trip requests must include a completed Request for Transportation Form (download from CAPS website) or the grant will not be accepted.
▪ Grant Applications and Tech and Transportation forms will be available on Sept. 13, 2019 on the CAPS website: www.atascaderocaps.org.
▪ All grants MUST be signed by your Principal. If she/he is off campus, you may ask another administrator to sign your request. **PLEASE DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE DAY THE GRANTS ARE DUE!
▪ Information about CAPS grants, FAQs and How to Write a Grant are posted on our website at www.atascaderocaps.org under Grants.
Submitting your Grant:
▪ This year the grant window will be September 16-30, 2019. We strongly suggest that if you are new to AUSD, try and find a “buddy” who can help walk you through the process.
▪ Please do not email your application to us. When completed and signed, send or take it to the CAPS mailbox in the District Office.
▪ A committee of retired teachers representing all grade levels will read the grants. All grant applications will be prepared by the Committee Chair and will be presented anonymously to the readers so that all requests are treated equally regardless of school or individual.
▪ Teachers and Principals will be notified of grant awards by October 18, 2019.
▪ Purchasing of all the Grants will happen immediately following the District notification. Depending on the grant, they will be purchased through the District (field trips, in-house assemblies, etc.), by the CAPS purchasing committee (most tangible classroom items) and the Tech Department (all technology items).
And that sums it up! Now it is up to you to come up with an innovative idea for your grant request! We are thrilled to be able to offer this for the 13th year and cannot thank you all enough for everything you do! Please feel free to reach out to us by email for any additional questions you may have at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nicole Hider and Hayley Mattson CAPS Co-Chairs